28 January 2009

A Brokerage Party? The Tories?

I saw this quote this morning on Castanet as I did my daily check-up on events happening in my beloved home. I couldn't help but laugh.

"I believe there is something in this budget for people of all ages and walks of life. There's assistance for some senior's housing, affordable housing, homelessness issues, innovation for our college and university and health care," says [MP Ron] Cannan.

As Blogging Tories everywhere are currently raging in often less-than-eloquent (yet usually poignant) terms, the Conservatives have just stepped into the arena of brokerage politics. They are no longer a conservative party advocating conservative principles that appeal to the tories of the country and, from time to time, to centrist voters that lean to the right. They are now a party guided by the politics of the day seeking to be all things to all people. It is a remarkable transformation of the party of Stephen Harper. I'm sure that somewhere, Preston Manning is throwing a fit at what he sees.

No comments: