19 December 2006

Top Moments of 2006

Yesterday focused on the world at large, today I'll go over some of my own personal best moments of the past year. Video included!

1. Graduation Day - I came, I studied, I convocated. It was the reason that I came to Halifax, and on October 21st I received the fruits of my labour when I officially became a Master of the Arts. It was made all the better with the attendance of the greatest person in my life, and my sister came to visit too!



2. Going back to Kelowna to visit the families. It had been six months at the time, and it's been almost a whole year since, but going home during reading break was very enjoyable and much-needed. It was saddened a little by the circumstances involving my grandmother, and we kept the trip almost-exclusively limited to family, but it's always nice to go back to where you came from and see many of the people who care about you most. I hope that we can do that again in the new year.

3. Seeing the Rolling Stones. It rained horrifically and it was cold, but what a fantastic evening. Finally getting to see one of my all-time favourite bands, right across the street from where I live, was an amazing experience. These guys are true professionals, they know how to put on a great show and leave their fans satisfied.



4. Seeing Bill Clinton. I may have more than a handful of disagreements with Clinton, but it's still an experience listening to a former President of the United States talk about his experiences in Washington and what to do about the problems facing the world today.



5. Defending and handing in my thesis. These two "moments" were actually a few days apart, and the defence was much longer than a moment, but it was a highly satisfying experience to justify my summer's work and then pass it off to the people at Grad Studies. I've always enjoyed handing in completed term papers, which made submitting From Bipolarity to Unipolarity: American Leadership and the Future of the Bush Doctrine all the better, because it truly was a term paper on steroids.

6. Canada Day down at the Halifax Harbour. It was a lot of fun, we had beaver-tails, the sun was out, and there was much revelling in all things Canada.

7. Sending those Christmas cards to the troops in Kandahar. Those men & women are doing some truly courageous and amazing work to implement the Canadian Government's policy of democracy promotion, and they deserve to be in our thoughts & hearts during this time of year.

8. The Bryan Adams Concert. If Tasha decides to do a Top Moments list, this will probably rank higher for her than it does for me. We had a lot of fun at the show, he played a great setlist, and I made a little DVD out of the photos & videos that we took. Plus it was two days before my birthday!

9. Seeing Paul Martin get tossed out of office and replaced with someone that's unafraid to make a stand without first consulting the public opinion polls. Harper's been right more often than not this past year (I'm sure folks are thinking that, yes, he's always right...wing), and his positions on foreign policy and other policy areas have been a key factor in making Canada more relevant than it has been in several years. When he's wrong, though, he can be really wrong, as readers of this blog no doubt have seen. If you think I'm right, anyways.

10. This one's still to come, so I'm hedging my bets, but I'm thinking that Christmas morning this year is going to be really great.

The Real Number One: growing ever-closer and more understanding and supportive and loving of Tasha. This past year has been truly incredible for the two of us, and I hope that it gets even better in 2007 and 2008 and every year after. You are the best thing to ever happen to me, Anna Lou.

6 comments:

C. LaRoche said...

There you go Rich, people CAN have fun in Halifax!

RGM said...

It is very doable, indeed! Granted, it takes a wierd sort to have fun defending a thesis, but hey, to each their own right?

Anonymous said...

Tee hee, you always spell weird wrong :P

It must be because I point things out like this that you call me the best thing that has ever happened to you. ...maybe?

RGM said...

Funny story about the word "wierd": your dad and I once had a brief exchange on the proper spelling of the word. I held the same view then as I do now, and he took the same stance as you. A quick Google search on Darryl's computer reveals that both ways of spelling it are acceptable. Extra wierd/weird eh?

Anonymous said...

I totally remember that, actually. He came home to verify the spelling with me, and he was indeed right.

Schmoo, your way is wrong. Dictionary.com and google both tell me so. Darryl's computer must have lied to you. But don't worry....I still love joo :P

C. LaRoche said...

RGM, it is "weird", not "wierd," though this is perhaps more an indication of prevailing customs in English spelling than it is a universal case of "right spelling" and "wrong spelling."


Good call on the Clinton talk, def. a highlight of the year.