30 April 2007

A Degree of Disappointment

This may be my last post for a while, as I'm going on vacation tomorrow and still need to finish preparing for the trip. I may still make the odd comment around teh Internetz, but actual posting will likely be very sparse. So I'm glad that it's a good one today, as I reprint for you my latest published letter in the National Post.

Re: Hollow Halls of Academe, April 28. It was disheartening to read about the extent of the decay of academia in Canada in Saturday’s Post. I completed my graduate studies in political science at Dalhousie University last year and, by your coverage, I would almost think that my personal learning experience was an anomaly.
While earning good grades was important, the search for greater knowledge and understanding of Canadian and international politics was always my top priority. Learning more of the ins and outs of my discipline is more important to me than the credentials that I achieve, as that perspective and insight will do more for me in my life than the piece of paper that came at the end of my studies.
I hope that university graduates will change their mindset so that they seek career work based on merit they have earned rather than the credentials they have been accorded. Developing real skills and talents should be valued higher than the ability to go through the motions to receive a desired letter grade. When you aim for the former, the degree becomes the symbol of your achieved potential rather than an end in and of itself. Richard McAdam, M. A., Halifax.

3 comments:

RGM said...

Thanks for the kind words. Nice to have you here.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Developing real skills and talents should be valued higher than the ability to go through the motions to receive a desired letter grade.

Well said.

Have a great vacation!

RGM said...

Thanks. I managed to find two copies of the paper on Tuesday at around 5am at Halifax Stanfield International Airport. They were about to be shipped away for recycling, so scoring two free hard copies is a nice bonus. It also counters the annoyance of being up at 3am.