25 May 2007

Star Wars Turns 30

As if anybody needed a reminder, today marks the 30th anniversary of the release of the original Star Wars movie. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it, and all the other films in the series, but I've got a feeling that I'll be marking the occasion later today with yet another viewing.

Who can ever forget the first time they saw Darth Vader's imposing figure? Who as a kid didn't wish they were a Jedi and could use the Force? Who will ever forget the amazing heroism that destroyed the Death Star?

With many movies so utterly disposable and forgettable today, it is tremendous that Star Wars retains its relevance and popularity after so many years. It will forever stand the test of time, and likely always remain my favourite movie series (for the record, Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back is my favourite of the bunch).

Apparently George Lucas will be making a major announcement today about the future of Star Wars. Hopefully it will involve the much-rumoured television series. In the meantime, as the greatest of all the Jedi once said, "Remember, the Force will be with you, always."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOLOL weren't you scared shitless of Darth Vader when Star Wars came out?!

Empire Strikes back is with Jabba right?
Cuz that was my favourite too.

RGM said...

Well, Star Wars had already been out for a few years when I first saw it, but yes, Vader was a scary presence when I was four or whenever it was I first saw it.

Jabba is in Return of the Jedi. And he also has an appearance in The Phantom Menace.