17 November 2005

Mackay Loses Points, Pettigrew Gains Them

I've not exactly concealed the fact that I like Peter Mackay and I think that he would make a much better Tory leader than Harper. But when he says stuff like this I really have to question whether or not he's just as bad as some of the people in Ottawa that contribute to the democratic deficit.

On Thursday, Valeri was more categorical in denial of the prorogation rumour and suggested it's being floated by the opposition parties. "The only people talking about prorogation are the opposition parties," Valeri said."We have not discussed prorogation. We'd like to get supply. We'd like to continue to govern. We are not here to shut down the House. We are here to keep the House open and I have no interest in prorogation."
But MacKay said he does not believe Valeri's denial.
"I'm never more convinced of the truth of the matter then when I hear a Liberal adamantly deny it," MacKay said. "So when they're saying they're not going to prorogue I think they're seriously considering it."

I really don't know how Mackay can say something that is such blatant demagoguery and expect it not to harm his reputation on some level. I hope that he never asks me a question where my answer has to be "no," otherwise he'll be running around with obvious falsehoods and believing that they are true. He loses major points in my eyes for this purely partisan statement.

On the other hand, we have Pierre Pettigrew referring to sovereigntists as "losers," and that always scores points with me. In reference to Andre Bosclair's victory that saw him become first in line of the PQ, “It was the night of the election of the next loser, because of what the hardliners will do to him,” Mr. Pettigrew said. The truth hurts. The Quebec Liberals are salivating at having this guy carrying the separatist banner, I'm sure it cuts the powder of their agenda quite nicely. Levesque and Bouchard were far better politicians than Bosclair; in spite of whatever glue it was they were sniffing that led them to believe separatism was the way to go for Quebec, it doesn't compare to the stuff that Bosclair has ingested.

No comments: