02 May 2006

Holy Overhaul Batman!

Yeah I re-did the place. I've been using the same template for almost two years now and felt it's long overdue for a change in appearance. Notice the new pic and the additional links too. You like?

BTW, budget announcement was spectacular. Harper & co. have done a fantastic job with their first effort, and even the media is acknowledging that there are tax cuts in the budget that will have a positive effect for just about every single Canadian. The GST cut is obviously the major highlight, but this $1000 credit for all employees (time to find a job!), credit for transit users (where's my receipt, Anna Lou!), the child-care benefit, etc. goes way beyond what a lot of people were expecting. And there's still an $8 billion surplus! I'd like to see a combination of debt repayment, extra funding for the military, and some increases to social spending. If Harper wants to tackle the fiscal imbalance, it doesn't bode well for federal-provincial relations if he's sitting on a pile of money that would make Scrooge McDuck envious and the provinces are still struggling to stay out of the red while cutting health care/PSE/etc.

For a first effort, it's a good one. There's always room for improvement, but I like this concept that "for every $1 in new spending, we're putting $2 back in the pockets of Canadians." I don't know if it's true, but it certainly beats "I'm entitled to my entitlements."

Last note, I've got a Conservative Party of Canada application filled out and sitting on my kitchen counter, waiting to be mailed. I'm really *that* close to fulfilling Stockwell Day's prophecy made in mid-2004: "You seem like an intelligent young man, hopefully one day you'll be on our side." If only he knew eh?

No comments: